Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nova Marathon Challenge


Last weekend, Rorie told me about the Team Nova Marathon Challenge:

In the summer of 2006, an assortment of very different individuals came together to form a quirky sports team. Not one of them was a hard-core runner; some couldn't even make it through a mile, yet all were determined to train for the Boston Marathon. —Susan K. Lewis

I watched the entire series in a single sitting after a short, three mile run on the treadmill at the BHAC. Talk about a happening Saturday night! Unlike most of the runners in the show, I have been an active individual for most of my life, which puts me at a bit of an advantage going into my training. I'm also pleased to report that I don't have a smoking habit to hurdle during my workouts. The fourth episode brought me back to reality when Nova displayed some nasty images of one runner's blisters. I actually encountered bloody feet after two of my runs last week, and it reminded me of my former life as a figure skater. My feet haven't seen blisters this bad since the last time I broke in a pair of silver stars at the age of fourteen. It appears that there are some similarities between figure skating and track after all!

I'm about to complete my sixth week of marathon training tomorrow, and I've got the "battle wounds" to prove it. The scrapes and scars that accompany the training, however, are totally worth it! I feel strong. I feel healthy. I feel like I can run a marathon!

It was fun to see the Nova runners cross the finish line in the final episode because I know that I'll be there in just a few months for Dana-Farber. Watch for the orange singlets at:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/program.html

No comments: