Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot


Last year at this time, I struggled through a 5K turkey trot with Maureen. Today, I completed a route equivalent to the Falmouth Road Race in just over an hour. It was so much easier to run knowing that a HUGE Thanksgiving meal would be waiting for me when I got home. My dad drove me to the start of the route, and dropped me off at the West Boylston High School. He was definitely concerned about my safety because he offered to steal one of the extra-large orange vests that the bus monitors wear at Laidlaw. I appreciated the offer, but politely explained that I might as well run with a parachute.

My dad's words of wisdom rang out loud and clear as I started my run: "Look both ways before you cross the street." "Pretend all the drivers on the road are drunk." "Leaves can be just as slippery as ice."

I ran by the West Boylston football game just in time to see my alma mater get a touchdown. Go Lions! I turned right on Prospect Street and up the hill past Emily's house. It was sort of fun to reminisce about old friends during my run because it took my mind off the workout. I flew by the Wachusett Country Club and under the highway. I had taken my hat off towards the start of my run, but I was tempted to put it back on when I ran under the bridge with all the birds. I took a left on East Mountain Street and a sharp right on Burncoat. At this point in my run, I focused on two things: a) the downhill at Burncoat High School and b) Mom's homecooking. I could smell the turkey ahead! With each step, I envisioned stuffing, yams, and corn. I picked up the pace! Turkey, step, potatoes, step, cranberry sauce! If the marathon were on Thanksgiving, I'd probably set a world record. Burncoat turned to Lincoln. Only twenty-two stairs stood between me and my pie. I climbed the stairs like a champion and arrived at home just in time for a quick shower and a Thanksgiving feast!

No comments: