Sunday, December 16, 2007

Double Runners

Our DFMC runner's meeting was cancelled on Saturday due to bad running conditions along the Charles. The Thursday night Crossroads run didn't happen because of the blizzard that hit Boston. After missing a couple of workouts, I was determined to get my long run in on Saturday afternoon. I left the house around 1:30pm to meet Keegan at the Woodland stop on the D-line at 2pm sharp. Kate decided to join us as well! For someone that's not planning on running a marathon, Kate certainly does a lot of cold weather running! After a few rough workouts last week, I was glad to have Keegan and Kate at my side. I really must remember to avoid peanut butter granola bars before my long runs! We maintained a steady pace along Newton's rolling hills and Kate picked up the pace as we approached Boston College. I was tempted to ring Katherine and Pete's doorbell, but we were women on an 11 mile mission! It was also important for us to keep moving to stay warm. The weather "schedule" did predict temperatures around 18F after all!

Kate stopped her run at Coolidge Corner, so that she could purchase a Christmas present for her brother. Keegan and I pressed on towards the famous Citgo sign before turning onto Brookline Avenue. I was on the lookout for Maureen, but our paths didn't cross. Marathoners really cover a lot of territory during their training. I had the opportunity to wave to half of Owen's family during my Saturday long run!

Longwood Avenue was extremely slippery and we had a couple of close calls on the ice. I should've worn my skates! We ran past Dana-Farber for inspiration. Keegan decided to finish her run at Stop and Shop because she needed to pick up some ingredients to make bacon and cheddar appetizers for a holiday gathering. I ran around the block to finish my first eleven mile run in approximately two hours.

1 comment:

Owen said...

What happened to the picture of you skating?!