Sunday, May 10, 2009

The 2009 Boston Marathon and Beyond

The marathon. Sigh. It's done. I'm not quite sure where to start. I slept eight or nine solid hours. I ate a very Special-K breakfast. Kay and I boarded the B.A.A. buses around 5:45am. And - we ran 26.2 miles.

This might sound funny, but the race wasn't the highlight of my training this year. Last year, the marathon felt like a CELEBRATION! I crushed my goal! I overcame injury after injury and conquered the 2008 Boston Marathon (all for Dana-Farber). This year, I do not feel that I have reached my goal. While running was an important part of my 2009 DFMC experience, my ultimate goal was (and still is) to raise $10,000 for innovative cancer research at Dana-Farber. The good news is that there's still time to fundraise, and I've got a PLAN! I just got a call from Safar on Newbury Street, and we're in the process of planning another cut-a-thon! Do you think I can raise another $907.95? I'm so close! More to come!

The marathon itself was not my best run this year, but it felt FANTASTIC crossing the finish line in Copley Square. One of my teammates called the race a 26.2 mile schmooze, and that's just what I did! I hugged and high-fived my way from Hopkinton to Boston. My favorite part of the entire race was seeing my dad (alive and well!) at mile 10. He was so proud of me, and I thank God every day for giving us this opportunity (life). Another highlight was seeing Peter and Mrs. Lorenz in Wellesley because I know just how much this experience meant to Kay, and then seeing the Kellett clan on Commonwealth Avenue. I gave Katie Goodfellow a huge hug on Boylston Street and crossed the finishline after running for five hours, fifty-one minutes and forty-three seconds.

Again, I'm still working hard on my fundraising goal and I cannot thank you all enough for supporting my run!! So many of you sent me the names of your loved ones who have battled cancer, and I would like you to know that it was an honor to carry their names to the finish line. Your loved ones gave me the strength and motivation that I needed to run 26.2 miles for Dana-Farber. It was an emotional experience, and I thank each of you for trusting me with your loved ones.

I'm in the process of sending out my thank-yous and 100 Grands, so be on the lookout! People are already starting to ask me whether I'm going to sign up for the 2010 Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge. The marathon itself is currently up for debate (with the upcoming wedding and a JD/MBA on the horizon), but my heart is in it for the long run. Thank you to the DFMC volunteers, Jack and Jan for organizing this program for Dana-Farber. Aunt Joan, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Finally, Owen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your love and support. As always, LOL :).

No comments: