Monday, April 21, 2008

Gearing Up

This weekend has been full of Marathon activities. I used to think that marathon runners just had to show up ... and run ... and run ... and run ... but there's so much more to it! On Saturday morning, I wrote down my "plan of attack" for the weekend. I planned my "snappy casual" marathon "look" by laying half of my running clothes out on the floor. I attended the DFMC check-in desk with Owen and dropped off a pile of goodies to leave at the 16 mile mark (green fleece, blister-free socks, fig newtons, pretzels, an inspirational quote from my Walk buddies, and a couple of gus). In exchange, I got some fantastic feet-shaped cookies, a packet of information, and a DFMC poncho! After checking-in with DFMC, we checked-in with the B.A.A.! I was amazed at how smooth everything went. Twenty-five thousand people are running the Boston Marathon and there wasn't a single line at bib pick-up! We stopped by the runners' expo at the Hynes Convention Center for a little while, but decided that it was ultimately safer not to brave the crowds. I got such a good night of sleep on Saturday afternoon, so I was well rested for the Sunday pasta party. In the morning, I woke up and continued with my carb loading. I feel like I've gained a solid thirty-four pounds this weekend, and I'm going to turn into a whole wheat bagel if I eat any more carbs this weekend. Some people carb-load. I think I might've carb over-loaded. The pasta party was truly inspirational! We took our seats (shortly after Patty's b-day party in my kitchen) and enjoyed a full pasta buffet. I was so glad that my entire family was able to join me at the pasta party. I've trained so hard for this moment ... so it felt really good to have everyone's support. The speakers at the event made me feel really good about this entire experience. We heard from Dr. Benz and Uta Pippig. Jan Ross spoke momentarily and there was an award ceremony for those who have been on the DFMC for five, ten and fifteen years. Jack Fultz gave us the usual rundown and really "pumped me up" for this marathon. My favorite bit of the evening was seeing all of the Patient Partners up on stage. My patient partner, Jasmine, was unable to attend the pasta party ... but she'll be on my mind every step of the way. I printed Jasmine's name on my singlet along with many others. Whenever I feel tired, I just have to look down and see "Run for Rita" ... and I will!

No comments: