Monday, December 15, 2008

The Bucket Run


Thursday, December 11, 2008
5:30PM (5-Mile Run)
Brookline Avenue Run
Weather: 40F
Conditions: Serious Rain
Gut Rating: 2
Perfect conditions for a marathon (ha!).
Pace: Who knows?

It was difficult to get going today because the weather was nasty out, but I heard Jack saying, "There is no bad weather, just bad clothing...". It took us at least a half-hour to mentally and physically prepare for this run. We changed several times, and tested the weather in a couple of different "outfits." I told Kay about my top- secret rain gear: a cotton hoody and a waterproof jacket. Few people believe me when I tell them that cotton sweatshirts are the key to a successful, rainy long run. I almost don't believe it myself, but it works every time! I couldn't have survived my 18-miler last year without my hoody. You see, people just want to curl up under the covers whenever the weather is bad, so I've somehow talked myself into thinking that wearing a hooded sweatshirt is just as nice as crawling under my down comforter. The hooded sweatshirt soaks up all the rain, but keeps you really warm. The waterproof jacket protects against the wind and rain underneath the hooded sweatshirt. I find it uncomfortable to wear multiple layers underneath a jacket, so I just wear them on top.

We got off to a shaky start this evening when I accidentally kicked the bucket at the end of my street. We also hit a couple of deep puddles, but my feet dried off pretty quickly. Even though it was "raining buckets," the rain was almost refreshing. I really enjoyed this run with Kay. Five more miles in the bank!

FUN FACTS: (since October 20, 2008):
Total Miles Logged: 72
Total Time Running: 12:30:00
Total Time Crosstraining: 00:30:00

MONTHLY MILEAGE:
Total Miles Logged October: 9
Total Miles Logged November: 41.5
Total Miles Logged December: 21.5

MONTHLY CROSSTRAINING:
Total Hours October: 00:30:00
Total Hours November: 00:00:00
Total Hours December: 00:00:00

GUT RATING SCALE:
(1) Great workout! Could have run twice as far (if I threw caution and The Plan to the wind).
(2) Rewarding effort - felt almost great.
(3) Worked up a decent sweat - had fun in general.
(4) Heart and soul not out here with my body, but...The Plan, Boss, The Plan!
(5) Thank goodness the race wasn't today. I'd rather be doing almost anything else.

No comments: