Monday, March 23, 2009

B.A.A. Charity Clinic

I attended the B.A.A. Charity Clinic a few weeks ago, and it was AWESOME! I was so bummed when I couldn't attend last year, so it was great to be able to participate this year. DMSE planned a quick run before the clinic, but I wasn't able to make it to the run. I did, however, make it in time for the trail mix consisting of chocolate chip cookies! BRILLIANT!

Then, we watched a video of the 2008 Boston Marathon. I really hope that nobody saw me, but I got so excited and sad all at the same time. I became so incredibly emotional that tears started streaming down my face. I'm so glad that I sat in the far right corner of the auditorium. It was then that I truly realized how passionate I have become about the DFMC.

Dave McGillivray (my idol) and his team spoke about the Boston Marathon. They gave us some insider information about registration and hydration. Josh Nemzer ran us through the race route in about ten minutes (or less). Chris Troyanos gave us some medical advice.

I heard Dave McGillivray speak a couple of times before, and really enjoyed both of his presentations. Then, I read his book, "The Last Pick" and became even more interested in his story for a variety of reasons. For starters, Dave ran across the country for the Jimmy Fund!! If I had been working for DFCI at the time, I would've reviewed his pre-event plan and budget. Dave described the review process a little bit, and I really enjoyed reading about how thrilled he was to find that his plan had been accepted! Now, I'm just waiting for Dave to call us up to tell us that he's going to be running the Great Wall of China! It was nice reading Dave's story because I was able to relate to it on many different levels.

Anyhow, I introduced myself to Dave McGillivray following the clinic because I figured that I might as well go for it while I had the chance. I was totally shy and silly, and I really just said, "Thanks for everything!" After all, if it weren't for Dave's philanthropic spirit, I might not have the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber!

No comments: