Monday, March 23, 2009

March 20th

Dear Friends,

I'm writing because I have a lot on my mind right now, and I really need to share my thoughts. March 20th leaves a bitter-sweet taste in my mouth for a couple of reasons. For starters, the 2009 Boston Marathon is coming up on April 20th -- exactly one month from tomorrow! I'm nervous. I'm excited! I'm gearing up. I just ran a successful 18-miler, but I really, REALLY need your support because ....

I'm running in memory of my lovely grandmother, Rita V. Higgins, who passed away just one year ago -- on March 20th. She was perhaps my favorite person on this Earth, and I miss her more than you could ever imagine. I would not be the same person that I am today, if it weren't for my 4'10" tall grandmother.

Tomorrow is also the first day of spring -- my grandma's favorite time of year. This is the first spring that we will not be celebrating together.

Please go to http://www.rundfmc.org/katyc2009 to make a special gift online in support of my run in the 2009 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Your support on March 20th is especially important to me because it would also be a gift in memory of my grandmother. Every gift is greatly appreciated, whether it be $5, $15, $26.20, $100, or $1,000. Tell your friends. Tell your family. I have raised $5,000 thus far, but I really need your support in order to reach my $10,000 fundraising goal for my grandmother.

Please contribute to my run for innovative cancer research. Your support is greatly appreciated on March 20th.

Many thanks,
Katy Counihan

No comments: