Friday, February 8, 2008

5.67 Miles of Heaven

I've been on the "ITB Special" for the last two or three weeks to strengthen and stretch my legs. I participated in alternative workouts to running (e.g. elliptical, deep water running, etc.) to maintain some level of fitness.

Although I would never admit it in person, my hiatus from running definitely had me concerned. I would ask myself on a regular basis, "How am I supposed to run 26.2 miles in less than three months when I'm only able to run 3 miles without severe pain?!?" I was also concerned because I wasn't entirely confident that the deep water running and elliptical training would keep me in shape for running. The good news: it did! Coach Jack really knows his crosstraining, and I'm so glad that I listened to him because ....

Last night, I ran! I took the train out to the Woodland stop. Oh, how I've missed Woodland! I never thought I'd actually say that, but it's true! When you're confined to an exercise machine for three weeks at a time, all you want to do is get outside into the fresh, city air! You want to run and prance and roam free! You long for eight layers of clothing and sports beans! I will never, ever take my legs for granted again! From this point forward, I shall truly appreciate every single step that I take outside....especially that step that I took into an ankle deep puddle less than one mile into my run last night!

My roommate, Kate, and I tried to get to the station in time to meet up with the Crossroads crew, but we must have just missed everybody! It was tempting to try to catch up to the team, but then I remembered that my legs are only 3' long and I run ten minute miles. I was supposed to alternate three minutes of running with one minute of walking, but I accidentally got carried away. I found myself running five minutes and walking one minute, then running seven minutes and walking one minute because my dollar store watch doesn't have a light on it! It was difficult to see my running time in the dark. I was, however, able to tell when I conveniently hit the 'three minute mark' halfway up heartbreak hill! My plan was to run 4.5 miles to Boston College, but I was feeling so strong when I got there! Kate and I ran all the way to the Reservoir stop instead, and I'm thrilled to announce that finished 5.67 pain free miles!

I'm going to slowly increase my mileage over the next few weeks, and continue with the program. Now that I am aware of my succeptibility to ITB problems, I shall strengthen and stretch the area on a daily basis. I'm going to keep up with my crosstraining and work towards racing in the Hyannis Half Marathon with the "Farber Girls" and the rest of the DFMC team on February 24th. I'm just about halfway there already!

No comments: