Monday, February 18, 2008

LOST

I'm slightly behind on blogging this week because my time is being stretched in many different directions. My best friend from tour is in town, so I've been showing her around Boston. The skate-a-thon is this evening, and I've been working overtime to keep up with the demands of event compliance.

Last Sunday, I decided that it was time to start increasing my mileage because my knee was starting to feel better. Sarah and I hitched a ride to the DFMC team workout in Wellesley with Ben. We were slightly behind schedule when I got into the car sometime around 8am. We were really behind schedule by the time we found out that our exit to the Boston Sports Club was closed. We spent a bit of time wandering around Wellesley, but we managed to find the Club just in time for the run!

My goal was to finish an easy seven miler (walk/run). I ran past the rotary with Sarah and into the center of Wellesley. I followed the route just past the first water stop before turning around. I tossed my miniature water bottle into the trash because I didn't want to carry it anymore. Sarah pressed on to finish her very first eighteen miler! Go Sarah!! I pressed on towards my measly seven mile goal. I passed the first water stop yet again, and forged ahead towards the center of town....then past the center of town. I turned around. Again, I forged ahead towards the center of town....until I missed the center of town. How on earth could I miss the center of town!?! I completed an about face and hit the ground running in a new direction. I'm usually so good about paying attention to my surroundings, but I was legit LOST! I don't typically mind being lost, but my knee started to act up. I stopped for directions at the hardware store. The gentleman behind the counter made me feel so much better when he told me that I was a solid two or three miles off-course. My watch showed that I had already finished my seven mile goal.

I started running as soon as I exited the store, but my knee acted up. I was so very glad that I signed the DFMC check-in sheet twice today! I envisioned being rescued at any moment! I completed one bonus mile and yearned for my miniature water bottle. It was a real genius move to throw it away in the first place, huh!?!

I tried to run, but my knee wasn't cooperating. I shuffled in the snow. I discovered that shuffling didn't aggravate my knee. I shuffled for almost three miles until I saw the Babson Skating Arena and the start of my long, long run.

No comments: