Friday, February 1, 2008

An Email to the DFMC Team


Dear Friends,

My name is Katy Counihan, and I look forward to running the 2008 Boston Marathon as your DFMC teammate! There are so many reasons behind my 26.2 mile mission for Dana-Farber, but I'm writing to let you know that you're one of them. Last year, as a Dana-Farber employee, I was invited to help out at the 2007 Boston Marathon. I volunteered to assist DFMC runners from the finish line back to the Copley Marriott. At the time, I was somewhat intimidated because I didn't know how my five-foot tall frame was going to carry all of you (if need be) back to the hotel. It's also not everyday that you have the opportunity to chat with individuals who have literally just conquered the Boston Marathon! In the long run (no pun intended), it was one of the most wonderful experiences in my life! So many of you opened your hearts, and told me why you run for Dana-Farber. It was such an emotional journey for you and me, and it was then that I decided that I wanted to run my first marathon for Dana-Farber! I was thrilled when I found out that I was accepted onto the 2008 DFMC team, and it is such an honor to be both running and fundraising by your side!

I'd also like to share with you information about an approved fundraiser that I've organized with two of your other DFMC teammates, Sarah Neukom and Hillary Wetzel. I'd like to personally extend an invitation to you, your family and friends to attend the 2008 Skate to Freeze Cancer (a public ice skating session) during school vacation week on Monday, February 18th from 6-8pm at the Simoni Arena in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Skaters are asked to raise a minimum of $25.00 to skate, and the top ten skating fundraisers will receive two tickets and a behind the scenes meet and greet to Disney's High School Musical: The Ice Tour while it's playing at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston. 100% of the proceeds from this event support our first run in the 2008 Boston Marathon for cancer research at Dana-Farber. Learn more about this fun, family event at http://www.skatetofreezecancer.blogspot.com. Please remember to pre-register to reserve your skates, and help us to spread the word! We hope to see you there, and good luck with the rest of your training!

Many thanks,
Katy Counihan

P.S. Feel free to check out my running blog at http://kcounihan.blogspot.com as well!

No comments: