Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Live and Learn

I'm so excited to be part of the DFMC team this year, but the experience is already different in so many ways. Last year, I walked around with a silly grin on my face for several weeks after finding out that I would be running the 2008 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber. Then, I went through a period of denial. No way! I thought, this can't be happening! I'm running the 2008 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber! I think that there was a "deer in headlights" phase at some point in time. Oh my goodness! Ah! I have to run the 2008 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber! After that, I really buckled down and focused on my training because I would be running the 2008 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber. Lastly, I focused on my fundraising because I was running the 2008 Boston Marathon for Dana-Farber. This isn't to say that I didn't put a ton of effort into my fundraising. Bottom line: I met my running goal ... but I did not meet my fundraising goal. I should've started my fundraising even earlier.

This year, I'm going to focus my efforts on the harder of the two challenges. After all, I was not accepted onto the team because I'm a runner. Heck, it took me over five hours to cross the finish line last year. I was accepted onto the team because I am capable of meeting my $10,000 fundraising goal. I know what I have to do to raise $10,000 for Dana-Farber ... and this girl means business. My time is limited because April 20, 2009 is right around the corner. I already submitted a pre-event plan and budget for "Trick or Treat Cancer" and I've drafted a list of potential supporters. My goal is to email my contact at Feld Entertainment this week do discuss the Skate to Freeze Cancer 2. There's definite potential to conduct two separate skate-a-thons this winter, one in Boston and another in Worcester. I'm also going to prepare my first batch of letters and make every effort to secure some free ice time this week. Here we go!

No comments: