Monday, October 13, 2008

Running Cancer Outta Town

The wheels are turning. I have a few more fundraising ideas:

1. "Doggone Cancer" or "Fetch a Cure": an organized dog walk in the Boston area
2. "Ultimate Frisbee Marathon": a winter ultimate frisbee tournament in Burlington
3. "Trick or Treat Cancer": collecting contributions in lieu of candy on Halloween

Last year, I gave out close to two hundred letters on Halloween to get the word out about my fundraising goals for Dana-Farber. I received a lot of positive feedback from my neighbors, but very few people actually sponsored my run as a result of the letters. This year, I'm going door-to-door dressed up as a runner on Halloween. It's likely that some of my neighbors will declare my efforts a shameless attempt to collect money, but I will definitely generate interest and awareness ... and hopefully raise $10,000 for Dana-Farber in a single night. This activity will also double as a training run!

Owen suggested that I conduct an ultimate frisbee tournament this winter, probably because it will give him another excuse to wear the waterproof socks that I gave him last Christmas. I've done a bit of research and the last "good cause" frisbee tournament raised over $10,000. Not sure if ultimate frisbee enthusiasts will be willing to brave the snow for the love of the game and an even better cause.... If so, I'll book the field!

Have you ever noticed how many dogs there are in the Boston area? Maureen must be terrified! I'm thinking about bringing the local dog lovers together for an organized dog walk to raise money for my run. What do you think?

If I decide to move forward with any of these fundraising plans, I will naturally submit a pre-event plan and budget to Dana-Farber for review and approval.

Lastly, while I have the mic, congratulations to my roommate, Kay, for being accepted onto the DFMC team!!

1 comment:

mokellett said...

Ha ha ha. Me? Scared of dogs? Never.