Thursday, March 6, 2008

Extreme DFMC Makeover

After battling two injuries in two months, I've decided that it's time for a runner makeover. My mom taught me to operate under the philosophy that change is an important part of life, and I'm convinced that it's one of the first stops on the road to happiness. Whenever my mom finds herself in a rut, she takes drastic measures. I'll never forget when she dyed her hair platinum blonde in an attempt to "have more fun."

Everybody needs a fresh start every now and then. Remember how you felt at the start of each new school year when your teachers gave you the "clean slate" lecture? It's the same feeling that I get whenever I wear a new outfit or get a haircut.

Lately, I've been in a bit of a running rut, so I made a few changes:

1. I bought four new pairs of SIZE 5 running shoes on Zappos.com. I've had such poor luck with the local running stores because none of them seem to carry more than one shoe model in a size 5. All four pairs of shoes arrived the day after I ordered them. I'm keeping my Brooks and New Balance shoes and returning the other two pairs. The Saucony's arrived in two different colors!

2. I got a massage! I went to Boston Bodyworkers on Tuesday after work. This was my first clinical massage and it did wonders for my body. I told the massage therapist about my ITB injury and peroneal tendonitis, so he spent a half hour on my legs. I left the room feeling at least an inch taller than normal!

These small changes worked wonders for my confidence because I feel like a whole new runner!

No comments: