Friday, March 28, 2008

Waitress!

I've now conducted several events to raise money towards my run for Dana-Farber. I've offered skating lessons, organized a canister collection with the Wallace Figure Skating Club, and produced a skate-a-thon with Disney's High School Musical: The Ice Tour. Since Dana-Farber does not allow recognized events to mail cash or deposit proceeds into a personal bank account, I've made several trips to the post office for money orders.

The mailman at the post office that I frequent tends to be somewhat nosy. For example, I was mailing a box of Valentines Day goodies to my friend Chelsey. At the time, she toured on Disney Princess Classics, so I addressed the package to "Princess Chelsey." The mailman wanted to know every possible detail about this foreign princess.

Now, you can only imagine this mailman's reaction when I stopped in with over $700.00 in cash from one of my events!! He was just itching for the facts! He never did find out where I got all of that cash!

Yesterday, I walked into the post office with $359.25. I could tell that my mailman was ready with questions as I walked towards the counter. "Where did you get all this cash?" He asked. "Did you become a waitress in your spare time?" I told him very proudly that I am running the 2008 Boston Marathon to raise money for Dana-Farber in less than four weeks, and that the money came from a canister collection. There was a major sense of accomplishment on his face when he finally figured out the story behind the loot. Next time, I'm going to ask him to sponsor my run! I just need a cryptic package or a large sum of cash to do it!

No comments: