Monday, March 10, 2008

A Tribute to My Grandmother

My 87-year-young grandmother was recently diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer. On Friday, I learned that she only has four or five more days to live.

My grandmother has been a true inspiration in my life. She's been my friend, my mentor, and my confidant. She always lived just around the block from my family, so I would spend every possible after-school hour and summer at her house and in her "secret garden."

I went to visit Grammy in the hospital on Saturday with Owen and the rest of my family. I did not recognize her from the side, and she didn't fully recognize me because she's also battling Alzheimer's Disease. Despite her memory lapses, she's still my witty grandmother. I remember telling her that she should become a stand-up comedian when she grows up. She quickly replied, "Only if I can sit down." When she took some awful tasting medicine at the hospital the other day, my aunt asked her if she wanted something to wash it down. She said, "Yes, whiskey." My grandmother is truly grand, and I'm so thankful for our special relationship.

I intend to finish the 2008 Boston Marathon for my Grammy. I finished a ten miler on Sunday afternoon after visiting her in the hospital on Saturday. I thought about my Graham and her impact on my life during the entire run. It was just what I needed to do. Whenever my 4'10" tall grandmother looked into the mirror, she saw a 7'10" tall woman. I enjoyed the company of my 7'10" tall shadow during my run.

My relationship with Grandma has been so very special. She has been my mentor, my friend, and my confidant. Grandma has taught me so many of life's most important lessons, and I'd like to share a couple of them with you:
  • When life throws you a lemon ... make lemonade!
  • Improvise. If you've made hot dogs ... and you run out of ketchup ... use chocolate sauce!
  • Work hard ... then relax on your chair swing.
  • A little dab will do you.
  • I am small ... but mighty. Stretch every day!
  • Take care of things and people that are smaller than you.
  • God made a beatiful earth. Take in your surroundings because every snowflake and flower is truly unique.
  • Use it or lose it. Sing aloud every single day ... or you will lose your singing voice. Walk every day ... even if it just means walking to get the mail.
  • Plant a garden ... and help it grow.
  • Your cheating heart will cause you pain ... especially in checkers.
  • Read. Read. Read. Arm yourself with knowledge ... for the purpose of winning Boggle.
  • Be a "star." Be a "lady." Own many hats and scarves. You never know when you'll be asked to sip tea with the Queen of England or to go "yachting" with Clark Gable.
  • Put another nickel in. In the nickelodeon. All I want is lovin' you and music, music, music!
  • Do unto others ... and it's the thought that counts.
  • It isn't Christmas without molasses popcorn balls.
  • Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and your feet wet. It's just a little dirt and water.
  • Cut, cut, cut, cut-a-dit says the little hen. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. nine. ten.
  • Oh wa ta si lee-goo siam.
  • Never try to lift one of Uncle Elliot's bowling balls.
  • Spring is coming ... wake up little rosebud. Hold your head up high ... or you might miss the first signs of spring.
  • Simply remember your favorite things ... and then you won't feel so bad.
  • Share and share alike. Cookies taste much better when you share them.
  • Say a prayer every day for those less fortunate than you.
  • Keep an album and a journal. Someday ... you will want to share your memories with your grandchildren.
  • Use your imagination. Be an archaeologist in Egypt; a schoolteacher; an entrepreneur; a writer; a mother; or a grandmother.
  • Always stay young.
These are a just a few of my favorite memories with my Grandma. I cannot thank her enough for looking after me and my sisters when we were young. I'll never forget fish fridays or our franco spaghetti days. I'll never forget watering her rock garden or rocking on her chair swing ... next to Chancy. Her lessons and stories will forever be on my mind and in my heart.

I love you so very much Graham. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being my one and only ... very special Grandma.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aloha Katy,
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Your post reminded me of all of the little sayings that my mom used to say. Also of the stories that she used to tell...over and over. I miss her!

I stopped by to see if you would still be available to give skating lessons to my daughter. We will only be there from March 27-30. A little shorter than planned, so maybe 2 lessons? I emailed you too...so please let me know your availability.

Prayers go out to your and your 'ohana (family)

Carrie