Sunday, January 6, 2008

In the Zone

I'm in the zone! The Jack Fultz Marathon Champion Guide to Running suggested that I complete somewhere between 27 and 36 miles this week, and I'm proud to report that I ran 27.6 miles!! I finished a strong 12.6 miles with my co-worker, Sarah, at the DFMC meeting on Saturday morning. We did an "out and back" starting from the Mt. Auburn Club. The run was entertaining to say the least. We discovered that Keegan is a fabulous, human jukebox. "Put a quarter in and she'll sing for miles!" I'm also extremely proud of Hillary for kicking her injury to the curb and finishing a ten mile run!

We all owe the DFMC staff and volunteers a huge "THANK YOU" for setting up the water stops and directing foot traffic during our run. Approximately one hundred runners from the DFMC team were in attendance, and we were joined by a flood of runners from some of the other charity teams in and around Boston! I almost felt like I was running the Tufts 10K on the carriage path. Everyone was so excited to be out there, and I was definitely motivated by the positive energy on Heartbreak Hill.

I did a quick, three mile run on the treadmill this afternoon and stretched for another half hour. Stretching really felt good! My legs are definitely as strong as they were when I was skating every day because I don't really feel very sore after finishing almost sixteen miles in only two days.

I was originally going to title this post "Longest Run Ever," but then I realized that I'm going to probably experience my longest run ever just about every weekend between now and April. I'll save the "Longest Run Ever" post for when I actually cross the finish line at the 2008 Boston Marathon.

My roommate just commented on how she loves that I'm blogging about my marathon training with a glass of champagne and three batches of homemade chocolate chip cookies in front of me. I think I need to start reading the Jack Fultz Marathon Champion Guide to Nutrition!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie,

Your blog continues to educate and entertain your fans - all of us.

Glad to see you're studying your JFMCGM and getting in your proper training. Great to see you and the other "DFCI Staffetts" (Sarah, Hillary, Keegan) out there on Saturday - enjoying your run and the fine January thaw.

And as for the JFMCGN - champagne and good chocolate are staples of our training table. "Everything-in-moderation" is a fundamental principle of our training philosophy....except for having fun. No limitations on that!

Keep on keepin' on!!!

Jack

Kathryn Kellett said...

Jack,

Thanks so much for posting on my blog! Can't tell you how glad I am to hear that you approve of champagne and chocolate! It was so great seeing you at the water stop during our last DFMC run! It really means a lot to us newbies knowing that we have a coach that we can count on! Your words really give us that extra push that we need to stay focused and motivated! I'm truly in awe of your running accomplishments, and I'm so proud to have you on our team!

Many thanks for the pep talks! Will keep on keepin' on!!

Thanks,
Katy