Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Incredible Leg

The average jogger strikes the foot against the ground 3,000 times per mile. This adds up to 60,000 foot impacts for every twenty miles. While running you only have one foot on the ground at a time. When walking, 30 percent of the time, both feet are on the ground. When running, the force of landing has been estimated to be about three times your body weight. This means that the force in my leg whenever I land is around 300 pounds!!! No wonder my knee is yelling at me!!!

1 comment:

tyler513 said...

Hey Katy, how do you think this guy feels?
http://www.whatwouldjacobdo.com/

Keep up the good work. Like Jack said, you can get high quality workouts on the machines with minimal impact on your body.
Keep up with the ice, ibuprofen, stretching, foam roller and you'll be back in shape in no time.
Also, if you need any convincing, I’ve found massage therapy to be very helpful with my IT band syndrome.