Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fundraising Update

A lot has happened since my last post! We held our bowling event and raised approximately $900!!! Can you believe it!?! It was so nice getting together with friends and family after work, and we are pleased with the outcome.

I sent out a ton of letters and messages, and the contributions are coming in. My Aunt Doris sponsored my run in memory of her friend Debbie. Last year, Debbie sponsored my run too. The note that accompanied my aunt's gift read, "This donation is given in memory of my friend Debbie Petersen - Died from Cancer 6/26/08." I thought of Debbie during my long run, and I will continue to think of her during my training. I called my Aunt to thank her for her contribution, and we had such a wonderful conversation. It turns out that she used to be a "tom boy" too. She excelled in baseball, and people called her "Slugger Higgins" because she only hit home runs. I hope that my aunt will be able to join my parents out on the route on Marathon Monday. This experience has brought us closer together.

I mailed ribbons out with all of my letters, and asked friends and family to write the names of their loved ones on the ribbons. Yesterday, I received a contribution from my Aunt Pat. The name on the ribbon was "John Edward Counihan." I do not remember my grandfather because he died from lung cancer not long after I was born. It will be an honor to wear his ribbon on my singlet during the marathon. My Aunt Pat's contribution was her last Dr. Martin official titled donation because she just retired!

We have 15-20 people scheduled for Deep Water Running on Wednesday, and we're receiving emails about the Skate to Freeze Cancer 2! The hair cut-a-thon is in full swing as well! Will post event-specific updates tomorrow!

No comments: